Monday, December 22, 2008

THE TRUE MEANING OF CHIRSTMAS!

I decided 2 years ago we would give 3 gifts (like the 3 wisemen gave baby Jesus) on Christmas morning, we still do fun stockings with other little gifts in them, in our situation (divorce) I feel the kids and adults loose the meaning of what this season is really about.
It almost feels like a competition to see who can give the best and biggest pile of gifts, not to mention they have a few new sets of Grandparents. I actually still think I would love this idea regardless of divorce or not. I have explained to the kids why we do this but this year I have put a little something together I want to try out on Christmas eve.
We have a
nativity set that I am going to kind of act out what happened that Christmas night. I am going to have each of the kids take a few of the characters and when I read about their role they will come and place them in the stable until I am finished with the story and the nativity scene is complete!
When we are done with that I am going to focus on
who the wisemen were and what the gifts they brought symbolized. I have put together little objects that resemble the gold, frankincense and myrrh to turn it into a little object lesson to hopefully keep their attention. I got insence, a home oil scent and pennies and put them in little bags they can pass around and look at. it cost a grand total of $1.93 at walmart.

I hope to help them all understand why I feel it is important to remember what Christmas is really about and why we celebrate it. I hope they can connect and understand. I would really Love to carry this tradition on through all of our Christmas's together! I Actually learned some things I did not know while preparing for this. I just really want our kids to know that we celebrate Christmas because of Christ and I want to teach them to give rather then expect to always receive. Most of all I want them to learn to give back to Christ through service, prayer, Etc.
So... If you are looking for a little something extra to do this Christmas eve, try this!
*****I cannot figure out how to attach my word documents for the things in black, if you want it or are interested in reading the story email me***** tabithapatrice@gmail.com

3 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

It's such a nice idea...I had grand hopes this year, but alas, I caved in to all of the inexpensive princess crap. I am a marketers dream come true!

Romeril Family said...

I love this Tabby, you did an awesome job and I'm sure the Christmas will be more memorable for them all. It's so very true.

Eliza2006 said...

We will utilize the recently announced See it now feature in GMail to convert Adobe PDF documents into html files. In addition to PDF, you can also convert all Microsoft Office Document formats (MS Word .doc, Excel .xls, Powerpoint .ppt, Rich Text Format .rtf), OpenOffice.org Document Formats (Writer, Calc, Impress, Presentation) and WML Files (Wireless markup language) to HTML. Here's how to get this done with GMail:

1. Compose a new message in GMail. (If you are still without a GMail account, request a GMail Invitation code)

2. Attach any PDF or Word document that you want to convert to HTML You can attach multiple files in this step by clicking Attach another File.

3. Enter your own email address in the To: box and click send.

4. You instantly receive a message in your GMail Inbox folder. Open the message and click the "View as HTML" link next to your attachment.

5. The contents of your attachment appear as HTML in a new browser window without having to download the file. When you're finished reading the attached file, close the new browser window to return to Gmail or Save the file to your harddrive.